Tuesday, April 6, 2010

thoughts about peeing on a stick...

In my previous post, I shared photos of my two "pee-sticks" used for validating the fetus growing in my womb (and sucking the life out of me).

First of all, it is awkward to purchase pregnancy tests at the grocery store.  I feel like there should be a mail order site somewhere (and probably is) that will mail you a discretely wrapped test.  The first store I went to had all of the tests locked up, as well as the condoms and other items of similarity.  I found this very odd and was too embarrassed to ask someone to open the case for me.  Why was I embarrassed?  Well, I feel like buying and taking a pregnancy test is a very personal task.  Not only would buying a test mean that I thought that I was pregnant or that I wanted to be pregnant, but it is admitting that fact to the sales clerk as well...the sales clerk that I desperately wanted to notice my wedding ring.  Yes, I am an awkward individual.  Anyway, I went to another store and bought my test (a 2 pack) and went through the self-check out line.  Only to be stopped by the woman manning the stations because she thought I scanned my item incorrectly.  

I used both tests.  I took the first test and it immediately read positive.  Which I, of course, took to mean that I had done something wrong.  The instructions said it could take up to three minutes.  I did not think I was pregnant.  So, I waited until the next morning and took the remaining test (at 4am).  It was also immediately positive.  This time I believed but was still a bit skeptical.   However, I went to work and cruised over to Hallmark on my break to purchase a gift for my husband.  


This is the "new dad" piece for the awesome Willow Tree sculptures that I have collected since early college.  My mom buys me new pieces from time to time and we got a few beautiful pieces when we got married.  From the time I saw this in the collection, I knew that I would someday buy it for Ryan as my way of telling him that we were expecting.  So, I put the Willow Tree in a bag, along with my pregnancy tests and gave it to him as a "St. Patty's" gift.  He was expecting chocolate, and got a lot more than he bargained for!  It was a great surprise and I'm glad I was able to keep the secret from him long enough for it to play out!  



3 comments:

Amy said...

<3 it all!

The Barreness said...

awesome! such a blessing.
congratulations!

April said...

have I mentioned I am SOOOO excited!? lol LOVE Y'ALL!