Thursday, June 24, 2010

whole wheat pumpkin chocolate chip muffins

I love pumpkin.  Anything pumpkin, and I do not believe it should only be consumed in the Fall.  I made these muffins last week while Ryan was out of town and had to force myself to save some for him to try, they were that good.  I am making them again tonight.  I adapted the recipe to include whole wheat flour and ground flax seed for more nutritional value.  Original recipe found here.

Ingredients...

1 C. whole wheat flour (minus 2 Tbs.)
2/3 C. all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. ground flax seed
3/4 C. sugar
1 Tbs. pumpkin-pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. semisweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 C. canned pumpkin
1 stick butter, melted

Directions...

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Line baking sheet with 12 muffin cups.  I don't have a muffin pan, so I use the liners that don't require one.

2.  In a large bowl, mix first eight ingredients; add chocolate chips, tossing to coat.  In another small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients; add to flour mixture and stir until just combined (don't overmix).  Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full.

3.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, until muffins spring back when lightly touched.  Cool on rack


2 comments:

hwilson718 said...

I love pumpkin too! I might try this recipe this weekend!

Reb said...

Really? You like pumpkin? :) I specifically remember you making pumpkin bars about a gazillion times senior year! I'll have to try this recipe!