Monday, October 11, 2010

What's in a Name?

I have always loved to know the origin and meaning of names.  I think that what your name means can have a strong influence on your life.  Ryan and I chose the name, Liam David for our son for a number of reasons.


Liam=Irish nickname for William, meaning strong-willed warrior & protector
David=Beloved

I am obsessed with Ireland.  I spent a summer there in college and am still moved to tears when I think about my time there.  It was also important to us that his first name be only four letters since our last name is only four letters (I like how it looks written out better, I am weird).  David is Ryan's middle name and it is a Hawk family tradition that the father passes his middle name onto his firstborn son.  We chose this as our "boy" name probably three years ago and once we found out we were pregnant we talked about a few others, but always came back to this and we love it for our little guy!  

I love that it means protector and that he is our firstborn, he can protect our other children.  Maybe he will go on to protect others or our country.  I also love the strong-willed warrior part.  If you know me or Ryan at all, you know that there really wasn't a chance that our child would not be strong-willed.  But, the warrior implication truly plays into his birth.  He was, and is, still fighting to grow and develop.  He has come a long way, but it's been a lot of work for his little body.  He is already a little warrior.  And we love him so much!


1 comment:

hwilson718 said...

Love hearing the meaning of his name. I also enjoy hearing name stories. AND what a GREAT picture! He is a cutie!